Hackney Youth Orchestras Trust’s Saturday Music School is open to children and young people aged 5 to 21 years and offers high-quality, accessible and internationally influenced tuition that they can enjoy via individual and group musical experiences as part of a holistic programme of study. Saturday School takes place at Stoke Newington School and Sixth Form, London N16.
Many of our students take ABRSM and Trinity College London exams.
Students can apply for individual tuition and group activities or group activities only. We offer individual tuition in:
- Strings – violin, viola, cello, double bass
- Wind – clarinet, flute, oboe, recorder
- Brass – french horn, trumpet
For students who do not have their own instrument, we offer instrument hire from our own collection.
Autumn Term 2021
From the start of the autumn term 2021, we will begin reintroducing in person teaching in two stages.
Autumn Term 2021 – first half term
During the first half of the autumn term we will be offering live sessions on a Sunday afternoon for the Junior Orchestra and Vocal Ensemble at St Mary’s Centre N16. All other group sessions and individual tuition will be taught online.
Autumn Term 2021 – second half term
From the start of the second half of the autumn term we expect to resume live teaching sessions for both our group and individual tuition sessions at Stoke Newington School.
- All fees quoted are per term and correspond to ten teaching weeks.
- Concessions are for families on a low income and/or on benefits.
- Sibling discount: £40 off termly fees for 2nd child onwards.
Individual and group tuition for 7 to 21 year olds:
- individual instrumental or vocal tuition, and
- minimum two and maximum four Tutti classes
Individual lesson 30 minutes: £299 full fee, £80 concessions
Individual lesson 45 minutes: £384 full fee, £120 concessions
(The above fees include individual and group tuition)
2nd instrument offer: Double Bass, French Horn, Oboe
Take up one of these three instruments in addition to your first instrument, and pay an additional termly fee of £180 full fee, £80 concessions.
Group tuition for 7 to 21 year olds:
– Any of the Tutti classes
- One class: £115 full fee, £55 concessions
- Two classes: £195 full fee, £80 concessions
- Three or more classes: £245 full fee, £80 concessions
The Tutti classes are:
- Primary Ensemble (Grades 0 to 1)
- Junior Orchestra (Grades 2 to 3)
- Youth Ensemble (Grades 4+)
- Theory and Aural Basics (Grades 0 to 1)
- Theory and Aural Essentials (Grades 2 to 3)
- Aural (Grades 6 to 8)
- Instrumental Ensemble and Theory
- Vocal Ensemble (age based)
The repertoire in orchestras, instrumental and vocal ensembles is drawn from a variety of periods and styles, reflecting the diversity of music and composers. In Music Appreciation, students learn about musical genres and styles, music analysis, world instruments, performance critique and other related matters that enhance their learning, appreciation and performance as young musicians.
Avanti! is Hackney Youth Orchestras Trust’s group tuition for 5 to 7 year olds. Classes will start from January 2022.
Each week for 30 sessions per year students will be able to take part in:
- 30 minutes recorder group and
- 50 minutes Singing and Musicianship class
Fees per term are:
- Full fee £185
- Concessionary fee £80